Thursday, September 29, 2005

A meal and some munchies (ok more books)

File "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini under "brutal and beautiful" maybe under "glass impregnated kite fighting in the streets of kabul," either way, read it. It made me wonder what other rich cultures have been blown apart lately and turned into poster children for the warhol five minutes of fame rule of trivialization. Sad but ultimately optimistic.

"Forty Signs of Rain" by Kim Stanley Robinson. Yes topical since its about impending global warming and the flooding and politics that come along for the ride. A bit hollow though (I get through the whole book and think... ok... so.)

"Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman (yup he's got a movie out this weekend too called MirrorMask) is about two brothers who have to cope with having a trickster god as a father. Fun, light superhero/origins sorta read set in present day london.

"Camouflage" a new book by Joe Haldeman was one of those read it in a day or two, alien(s) living among us, character studies.

What the hell am I gonna read now?

2 comments:

dJsLiM said...

Apparently you should read "Husbands" by Adele Parks

http://whatshouldireadnext.com/

Mickey said...

hmm, I checked out the list at "whatshouldIread.com" and they did have a few in the list that I had already plowed through...
husbands doesn't really sound like my cup of tea... but maybe if I fill out more of my favorites it'll get better (amazon isn't too bad when I'm signed in)...
Instead I started on "Interface" an old book (90s) just out in a new release from Neal Stephenson/J. Frederick George...
its classic stephenson (political/geek/zeitgeisty character study).